A look back: Barnesville's first championship football team

Special to the Enterprise
Barnesville High's first championship football team was the 1936 team that played in the new stadium at Laws Street. Early teams played at the Barnesville Fairgrounds racetrack of what is now Memorial Park. The '36 squad was Co-League Champs of the East Ohio Athletic League sporting a record of 8-0-1 with a combined total of 118 points to opponents 27. There were four shutouts and a 0-0 tie with Adena. Schools that the Red and Green beat that year were Powhatan Point, Yorkville, Dillonvale, Cadiz, Dennison, St. Clairsville, Caldwell and Woodsfield.