The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 includes some new and expanded tax credits and other taxpayer-friendly changes. Here are four important credits that will affect many individuals.Making Work Pay Credit...A fair majority of workers will be entitled to this temporary credit for 2009 and 2010. This credit is equal to 6.2% of annual earned income and can amount to a maximum of $400 for an individual or $800 for a joint-filing married couple.The credit is also refundable, which means it can be used to offset your entire federal income tax bill, including any alternative minimum tax and you get to collect any leftover credit amount as a refund after your tax bill has been reduced to zero.The credit is reduced or completely eliminated if your adjusted gross income falls into either of the following ranges:- $75,000 to $95,000 for singles and married filing separately- $150,000 to $190,000 for joint filing married couplesThe IRS will issue new federal employment tax withholding tables to allow employees to collect their credits in advance via reduced payroll tax withholding for the rest of 2009. Instead of a check from the IRS, you will receive a slightly higher paycheck. (This maybe only 8 to 10 extra dollars a week.) If you are self-employed, you can collect in advance by reducing your quarterly estimated tax payments.$250 Refundable Credit for Government RetireesThis credit is a one-time 2009 refundable tax credit of $250 for each eligible individual or $500 for a joint-filing married couple when both spouses are eligible.You must meet the following requirements:1. During 2009, you receive retirement benefits for past service as an employee of the U.S. or other government entity based on earnings that were not subject to Social Security tax withholding at the time.2. Your are ineligible for the $250 Economic Recovery Payment.3. You report a Social Security number on your Form 1040.If you are eligible for this credit, it will reduce your Making Work Pay credit.The two additional credits will be featured in next week's column. ...Ms. 1040EZAs always, check with your tax preparer regarding any of these issues.Submit questions to: Ms. 1040EZ PO Box 13 Barnesville, OH 43713Or e-mail: (Please enter "Ms. 1040EZ" in the subject line.)