Shortly after entering the New Year and a new decade, a historic landmark in the community was leveled with the removal of the deteriorated frame building at the southwest corner of West South and South Broadway streets.
The building was erected and dedicated March 31, 1901, as the first home to the Second Methodist Episcopal Church. Seven years later as the congregation departed for their new church on West Main Street, the congregation was renamed West Main Street Methodist Episcopal.
With the departure of the Methodists, the building was used shortly as a commercial laundry. A 1908 photograph illustrating this use is included in the Bicentennial Book Barnesville’s 200 Years: A Pictorial History.
The small Barnesville Episcopal congregation which was established in the 1880s and met in Hanlon’s Hall on S. Chestnut Street, purchased the building in 1911. They rededicated the building two years later and continued to meet there until the group folded in 1927.
The Nazarene congregation, formed here in 1920, purchased the building that year and met here until 1937 when they departed for the former two-story Friends school/meetinghouse on the corner of South Lincoln and East South. The Nazarene’s erected the current church at that location in 1950.
The old church building was then converted into a farm feed and supply store, as a branch of Woodsfield-based Hastings Mills. After this business closed in the late 60s, an antique furniture stripping business was based in the old sanctuary.
For the past several decades, the structure was used for storage before its appointment with the wrecking ball this past month.