The building at the southeast corner of Main and Chestnut was erected across Main Street facing end of the lot in 1901 by the Campbell Brothers who, according to the Barnesville Historic District National Register nomination, opened a store in April that year, selling fashions, shoes, crockery and glassware.
Local architect Benjamin C. Patterson was the architect for the building as well as its later rear addition.
After Campbell’s departure, it was home to Horner’s 5 & 10, before E.G. Harrison moved his department store in the building. Harrison got his start across the street at 115 E. Main in the building he erected after the great fire of January 1895. This building is long remembered as home for the Walter Thomas store.
By 1923, Harrison erected the rear two-thirds of the present structure for his business, Harrison’s Department Store.
The business consisted of four floors of sales space offering clothing for the entire family, home furnishings, furniture and housewares departments. A grocery and bargain clearance department were housed on the basement level.
Harrison’s, like many other businesses, struggled during the Great Depression. Following one reorganization and a merger with the out-of-town Hastings Department Store, the Harrison-Hastings Company folded and closed.
Miltonsburg native, Clem Peters, owner of the Conservative Life Insurance Company of West Virginia, held the mortgage on the building and assumed control when the store filed for bankruptcy.
Under Peters’ ownership, it was renamed the "Conservative Arcade", operating like a modern-day mall housing several businesses including two that later moved out on their own – Bair’s Furniture and Walter Thomas Store.
A sign on the building during the 1940 Homecoming celebration revealed the following history, Dr. D.O. Sheppard records, "the earliest occupants (of the site) were John Davenport and John Gibson who had a general store which was opened in the early twenties of the last century. Later occupants were J. Richard Hunt and Brothers, Chaney S. Hunt, Campbell Brothers, and Harrison’s Store. This corner is now occupied by an A & P super grocery market."
The A & P departed about 1970 followed by several variety stores including the Woodsfield and Caldwell-based K-V Store and Warren V & S. The last tenant in the building was Ryman & Terrett Pharmacy.
From mid-century forward, the lower level facing Chestnut Street, housed the offices of chiropractor Dr. L.G. Dunmire, Merle Norman Cosmetics and several restaurants including the El Toro Coffee Shop owned by operated by building owner Homer Bohandy.