The Salt Fork Baptist Church, 22824 Baptist Road, Quaker City, located between Middlebourne and Antrim, is reached a milestone recently.
Church members celebrated the 200th anniversary of services at the church with a special event on Sunday, June 10.
On Aug. 15, 1818, the Salt Fork Baptist Church was organized by Elder Nathaniel Skinner and Benjamin Stone. During the early years of the church, members met regularly in the homes of the members, usually about once a month.
In March of 1834, property was purchased from William McPeek for $12.81. Church members evidently could not raise enough money to build a meeting house but in June of 1873, members of the Antrim Baptist Church disbanded and donated their church house to Salt Fork Baptist Church. That church was torn down, moved and rebuilt where the building stands today.
In the early years, the church apparently had some trouble maintaining a pastor and voted in September of 1948 to close the church for the winter months.
In 1949, the Rev. Llewellyn Thompson was driving through the community and saw the Salt Fork Baptist Church. He asked where he could get a key and on July 17, 1949, the church reopened with an attendance of 65.
In April of 1955, the Rev. Kenneth Fuller was voted to be the pastor, where he served until his passing in 1989.
Since then, the church has been served by the following pastors: Rev. Larry Davis, Rev. Charles Claypool, Pastor Bill Young and Floyd Atkinson. The current pastor is Brian Hollis.
Sunday School services are held at 10 a.m. with church services at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. each Sunday and a Wednesday evening prayer service at 7 p.m.