For the first summer since 1950, local sweet tooth aficionados are without a local source for homemade hand dipped ice cream as the Fairyland Drive-In did not open for this year’s season.
On Aug. 4, 1951, according to Barnesville’s 200 Years: A Pictorial History, Fairyland Drive-In opened on Route 800. The business was established and initially operated by Harry and Lillian Tickhill, Walter and Helen Tickhill, Sam Smith, and the John and Harriet Price families.
Lilliam Tickhill’s collection of ceramic trolls and other figures that surrounded a small pond adjacent to the drive-in were the inspiration for the business name.
The small original stand was in use for the first eight years. In 1959, the current structure was erected.
In 1986, the business was sold to Ike and Virginia McGee who continued the popular warn weather venue until it was sold to the current owner Keith A. Baum who operated the business through the 2017 season.
The building and business were placed on the market this past year. The listing remains active.
Two other local venues were profiled in the 2008 history book, one near Baileys Mills, established by John and Mary Hall in 1959, and named Hall’s Drive-In, and a second known as the Frosty Treat in Speidel in the 1960s. Both had their signature menu items: Hall’s featured Mary Hall’s sloppy Joe sandwiches, and the Frosty Treat developed a stacked hamburger called a Frosty Burger. Both locations are presently vacant and abandoned.