Theatergoers will be treated to an opening night gala as the Ohio Light Opera kicks off its
40th season in Wooster on Saturday, June 16, at 7:30 p.m. with a production of the Tony Award-winning “Pajama Game.” The company's summer season at Freedlander Theater on the campus of The College of Wooster also will include “Babes in Arms,” “Fifty Million Frenchmen,” “Candide,” “Iolanthe,” “La Périchole” and “Cloclo.” In addition, the company also will host its fifth annual symposium on lyric theater tradition the week of July 31. For more information, go to www.ohiolightopera.org or call (330) 263-2345.


Spend the day with friends and family members in rural Wayne County on a self-driven, picturesque tour of area farms and agricultural businesses while enjoying the beautiful fall colors. Visit with farmers that help supply the world with food. This year's Wayne County Farm Tour will take place in northwestern Wayne County on Saturday, Oct. 13 from 11 a.m. — 6 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 14 from 1 p.m. — 6 p.m. Call Lindsay Shoup at 330-263-7456 or visit www.ofbf.org/counties/wayne for more information.


On the third Saturday of October, the growers, cookers and lovers of beets gather at Sonnenberg Village, 13526 Hackett Road, for the annual Kidron Beet Festival.
Scheduled in 2018 for Oct. 20, the day begins at 9:30 a.m. with growers registering their prize beets for judging. At 10 a.m. food vendors — including Schloneger's Ice Cream with its beet-flavored ice cream — and Sonnenberg's buildings open, with music beginning at 10:30 a.m.
Awards are given for the largest beets and for a variety of beet dishes. Music, food and fun continues through mid-afternoon. Contact the Kidron Community Historical Society at 330-857-9111 for more information.

Orrville Railroad Days will be held Friday and Saturday, Aug. 17-18, in conjunction with the Orrville Rib Festival.
The Railroad Days include tours of 1868 Pennsylvania Passenger Station, now a Railroad Museum. The Orrville Depot Museum is open on Fridays from 5-8 p.m. and Saturdays from noon until 5 p.m. For more information, call 330-683-2426 or visit the Website: www.orrvillerailroad.com.
The Orrville Railroad Heritage Committee was founded by a small group of railroad enthusiasts in 1978 to promote the preservation of our Ohio railroad heritage in Orrville, a town that owes its very existence and development to the railroad industry.
In 1981, membership was opened to the general public and there are currently about 200 paid members in the organization. Membership is open to anyone interested in preserving the railroad heritage of the area.
Also in 1981, the first Depot Days were held, an annual event that continues today as Orrville Railroad Day.
The committee purchased and restored the former 1868 Pennsylvania Railroad Union Station in 1982. The station is a well-known historical landmark. The signal tower was also purchased in 1982 and was moved across the tracks to its current location adjacent to the station.

The Wayne County Fair, which is renowned as Ohio's foremost agricultural fair and as one of the largest junior fairs in the state, is scheduled this year from Sept. 8- Sept. 13, 2018, 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. daily. One of the specialties of the fair is its emphasis on youth, earning it distinction as the first fair in the state to combine 4-H club  and vocational agricultural projects. It has its own Junior Fair Board as a counterpart of the main fair board.
Other attractions at the fair include its annual stellar lineup of grandstand entertainment attractions; the education building with projects highlighted from students in schools across the county; antique; flower and gardening displays; cooking and craft demonstrations; and tractor pulls, livestock judging, harness racing, demolition derbies and more. A featured performer at the 2018 fair will be Trace Adkins. Bates Brothers Amusement Company will be in charge of rides.
The history of the Wayne County Fair dates back to 1849, and since then, its growth has been steady. During the year, the fairgrounds are used for a variety of community events and vendor fairs. The fair office can be reached at 330-262-8001 or by email at waynecountyfair@yahoo.com.



Open from dawn until dusk 365 days a year, the Secrest Arboretum is on the south side of Wooster on the campus of the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center at U.S. Route 250 and state Route 83. Established in 1909 by Edmund Secrest, the first state forester of Ohio, there is no admission charge to visit the Arboretum, though certain events might have participation fees.
Secrest, which welcomes more than 10,000 visitors each year, is a 110-acre outdoor laboratory and landscape garden known for its themed gardens and its more than 2,500-plus varieties of plants. Paved walkways that are handicapped accessible take visitors through forests and meadows, while the Fortress at the Hogs-back, an embankment slide and a pavilion with giant frogs and tortoises can be enjoyed by the entire family. Well-behaved pets on leashes also are welcome.
For those who want to learn from the experts, Secrest plays host to guided bird walks by the Greater Mohican Audubon Society, guided summer garden walks and the family-friendly Whiz Bang Science Show with Dr. Dave Lohnes. In addition, Secrest schedules a number of classes throughout the year, from propagation workshops to macrophotography instruction.
The arboretum also has facilities available for rental, including the Jack and Deb Miller Pavilion, the John Street Garden Amphitheater and the Taylor Pavilion.
For more information, contact Secrest Arboretum curator Joe Cochran at 330.263.3761 or cochran.58@osu.edu or visit the website, https://secrest.osu.edu/.


The Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery serves as the final resting place for veterans and their eligible family members.

The cemetery, located at 10175 Rawiga Road, Seville, OH 44273, was dedicated in 2000 and is the second national cemetery in Ohio and the 119th national cemetery.

Currently, there are approximately 540,000 residing in the cemetery’s service area. The first two phases of construction, covering 65 acres of 273-acre cemetery, included 21,000 grave sites. At full capacity, Ohio Western Reserve can provide burial space for 106,000 eligible veterans and dependents.

Notable veteran Noah S. Purifoy is buried at the Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery. Purifoy was renowned for his large and sprawling assemblage sculptures, which were artful combinations of bicycle wheels, bowling balls, train tracks, old refrigerators and rubble. Most of them were assembled at his ranch in Joshua Tree, California, which eventually became an open-air studio, gallery and museum. His best known work was called "66 Signs of Neon" was a traveling exhibition of sculptures made from three tons of rubble from the 1965 Watts riots.

The cemetery features a pathway that is lined with memorials that honor America’s veterans, which have been donated by various organizations. As of 2017, there were 139 memorials, most commemorating events and troops of 20th century war.
Office hours are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
 It is closed on federal holidays except Memorial Day. Visitation hours are open daily during daylight hours.

For more information, call 330-335-3069.


The J.M. Smucker Company Store and Café in Orrville offers customers its trusted brands and quality products in one convenient location.

Customers can find Smucker’s signature branded gifts and merchandise including everything from kitchen accessories to apparel and gifts for pets. They can also find their favorite fruit spreads, coffee, peanut butter, ice cream toppings, pancake mix, syrup, and baking products.

Celebrate the 2018 Winter Olympics all year long with the Smucker’s Team USA branded apparel and pins. Other apparel includes Smucker’s and Jif socks, and other branded gear from Crisco, Hungry Jack, Jif, Knott’s Berry Farm, Martha White and Pillsbury.

The store also offers custom gift baskets and pantry packs. Customers can personalize their gifts with a customized label on a 12 oz. Smucker’s jar or a 16 oz. Jif jar.

While shopping, customers can stop for a quick bite or a sweet treat at the café, which offers brick oven pizzas (6” or 12”) and a variety of hot sandwiches served with chips and pickle spear. They can also enjoy their meal in the patio-style dining area set in a warm, friendly environment.

For dessert, the café offers an ice cream bar or fresh-baked goods for purchase made with the company’s branded products.

The company store and café is located at 333 Wadsworth Road, Route 57, a quarter mile north of U.S. Route 30. It’s open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Lunch is served in the café until 4 p.m.

In 1918 a group of local farmers and businessmen held their first auction at the Jacob Moser barn located on the square in Kidron. These monthly sales were not as successful as had been hoped, so in late 1923 they offered to sell the “company” to a young local auctioneer named S.C. “Cy” Sprunger. Cy told them he didn’t have much money to invest, they asked him if $5 would be too much for the auction box and all the goodwill that went with it. They made a deal, and thus Cy always said that he bought the business for a $5 bill and built it into a multimillion dollar business that is still serving Ohio farmers today at 4885 Kidron Road, with the best in competitive livestock marketing service.
Cy Sprunger died in 1956 and his brother Earl took over the business, along with longtime office manager Russ Beals, who ran it until 1973 when John Sprunger, Cy’s oldest son, took over the operation. Throughout the 1980s the facility continued to expand, with many new pens and barns, along with new auctions. A new weekly hay and straw auction on Thursday mornings, prior to livestock sales was added.
The next major expansion came in 1988-89 when the Sprungers purchased the land west of the auction and converted the previously built veal barn into a new modern Feeder Pig auction. The land around the pig barn was developed into parking to accommodate the increased volume of the hay and machinery sales. The Sprungers continue to look forward to serving area farmers for many years to come with the Best in Competitive Livestock Marketing Service.

The Buckeye Agricultural Museum and Education Center, scheduled to open in 2018, is located on West Old Lincoln Way across from the Wayne County Fairgrounds and encompasses 19,500 square feet on 3 1/2 acres. The brainchild of a group of six men interested in keeping the history and significance of agriculture in Wayne County relevant, the building has been transformed from an old industrial building into a replica of an old barn through private donations, multiple fundraisers and a $400,000 development grant from the state of Ohio. It will ultimately be owned by the Wayne County Fair.
Along with agricultural equipment, including a Champion Threshing Machine, dated 1897; a 16-horsepower, 1923 Russell Steam Engine; and many other implements and archival items,the building will house a museum within a museum — a gallery dedicated to the history of the Wayne County Fair filled with newspaper articles, portraits of featured performers over the years, archival items and pictures of local fair participants. The entrance to the new museum is, appropriately, a silo; and agricultural murals will enhance the interior and the exterior of the building.
The Buckeye Agricultural Museum can now be reached by calling 330-845-2825 (Buck) or by emailing BuckeyeAgriculturalMuseum@gmail.com.