Ten Years Ago – 2008

The Barnesville School District achieves a long-awaited achievement as it is released from fiscal emergency status by the State of Ohio.

A roof collapse during a fire at a Broadway Street home in Quaker City injuring three fire fighters – Jerry Kerns, Jesse Kehl and Robbie Patterson. The house was extensively damaged.

Barnesville council approves pay raises for employees and elected officials.

Died – Nora Ruth Timmons, 98, who lived with her late brother, Ted on Bethesda Street.

Also passing was Harley Hickenbottom, 77, of Somerton Highway.

Charles Simeral is sworn in as mayor of Quaker City.

Belmont resident Valerie Moore is hired as business manager for Belco Works.

The 40-page Barnesville Bicentennial Celebration tab is included in this week’s paper.

Twenty-Five Year Ago – 1993

Twenty-four employees, including Bill Stottler, production engineer, and Nancy Wells, team captain, were on the job Monday morning during the first day of work at 5 B’s satellite operation, located on E. South Street. Most of the workers are busy making basket liners for the Longaberger Company.

Barnesville High will be sending a contingent of four to this weekend’s state wrestling tournament at Dayton after capturing the Division III District title.

Robert E. Murrsay, president of the Ohio Valley Coal Co., speaks out against the Clinton Administration’s proposed Btu Tax on coal.

Paul Peters, 81, who was a supervisor of the former M-K Stores and later owned the Montgomery Ward Catalog Store, dies.

Hildred Smith, 86, Roosevelt Road, passes.

Also passing was Bethesda native Harry Davis, 77, of Weirton. He was retired vice president of Colliers Steel Co.

The Shamrock Staff of BHS, honors the group’s first advisor, Miss Winifred Deaver, on marking her 94th birthday.

Fifty Years Ago – 1968

Fire Friday morning destroys the Bethesda home of Donna Jean Tolbert and her two children. The loss is estimated at $12,000.

Barnesville’s police force is enlarged with the hiring of Emil J. Fusek and Robert Wineman.

Barnesville native Capt. Annie Bohandy of USAF Nurse Corps, was recently presented the Air Force Commendation Medal.

The crosswalk established last year at the E. Main alley between Cheffy Drugs and the Mayfair Shop has not served it’s intended purpose. Council votes to replace the sign with a "blinker" light.

A Monroe County youth, 13-year-old Gregory Wells, was treated at Barnesville Hospital Tuesday night with a burned arm. He claims he was knocked to the ground and burned by a beam from a hovering unidentified flying object.

Seventy-Five Years Ago – 1943

Word has been received that Staff Sergeant V. Irl Young, formerly of Barnesville, died sometime after the Japanese took the Philippines. It was known earlier that he was injured in the defense of Corregidor which fell following a long siege.

The earthquake reported in many eastern and northern Ohio towns Monday night was noticed by many people here.

Barnesville loses to Dover in our first tournament contest 36-30.

Delbert Cook, eight-year-old third grader, was knocked down and run over by an auto at Main and Chestnut Wednesday afternoon. He escaped with only cuts and bruises.

Barnesville’s man of peace, Evang. Elias J. Bennett had two sons in the last war and now has another two in the present conflict.

It was 19 below last week and 60 above yesterday. Even the groundhogs are tired of this long winter.

One Hundred Years Ago – 1918

From the Whetstone

The large building at the Eastern Ohio Glass Co. on S. Gardner housing the flattening ovens and cutting rooms, was destroyed by fire Friday night. The brick wareroom was not damaged nor was the main building. The loss is estimated to be $15,000 or more. Nearly 150 men are now thrown out of work.

Hundreds of our citizens witnessed the fire which was the largest since the big fire of January 1895.

Prior to the fire Friday, Mr. J.N. Neenan of Cleveland, president of the Window Glass Workers Union, was here conferencing with the men in adjusting some questions in a work dispute.

John Porterfield, 75, was killed at Belmont by a B & O westbound. He was running to catch the train and evidently thought he was on the side track but was on the main track instead. He was run over in full view of persons at the station waiting on the train and others on the street.

Residents of Barnesville were out in large numbers Thursday night observing what they thought was a big fire somewhere. It was, instead, the aurora borealis, or northern lights. Many said it was the greatest they have ever witnessed.


Bruce Yarnall may be reached at: bruce.yarnall@outlook.com