1975 – Somerton Firemen successfully pass the area’s first tax levy for fire services.
A July 4 fire destroys the home of Charles and Ruth Ann Clark along Captina Creek south of town. The pre-Civil war house was the longtime residence of Somerton Mill operator John E. Broomhall (1855-1931) and the mid-century home of Del and Mattie Groves.
Harold Steele, 75, retired funeral home owner, dies.
1976 – On July 4, Somerton joins the nation celebrating the Bicentennial with the ringing of the town’s two church bells.
1978 – Somerton firemen add a metal-clad north wing onto the 1956 fire hall/station.
1979 – Fred Stephen is honored with the first Alumnus of the Year Award from the Somerton Alumni Association.
1980 – The population of Somerset township increases for the first time since 1850 – up 152 in the past 10 years to 1,062.
1981 – C.M. Rogers Hardware closes following Clayton Roger’s death at the age of 80.
1982 – Lost to demolition during this era were the following historic structures: James Doudna residence, Charles Luyster house (lot 19), William Stanton/Ann Lucas residence (lot8), Earl Broomhall residence (lot 6, fire), Martin Truax/M-K Store (lot 2), Detling/Wittenbrook residence (lot 33), Norman Gaines residence, Bodkins/House residence and Everett Willison residence.
1983 – J. Russell Howell joins the family business, J. Howell Machine.
1984 – Somerton Firemen expand their carnival/festival to three days, Friday-Sunday.
1986 – Somerset Grange merges with Belmont Grange in Barnesville. The hall, technically owned by the GAR Hall Memorial Association, is abandoned.
The Switzerland of Ohio Water District connects to the Barnesville system providing Somerton with city water service.
Somerton VFD completes construction of the second wing providing a social hall to replace the original 1956 concrete block stationhouse.
1987 – Someton Post Office closes on May 31 when Charles Bewley retires also ending Bewley’s General Store’s 82-year run. The store, purchased by Mirco and Donna Milosaviljevic, is renamed D & M General Store.
The Somerton Alumni Banquet returns to Somerset Township for the first time since 1969. The event at the new fire hall is well attended.
1989 – The former residence of Bob and Hazel Byers, erected as a Presbyterian Church in 1870 and later used as a town hall, skating rink, and cancer sanitarium by Dr. T. T. McCullough, is razed.
Veteran retired educator Silas Warfield dies at the age of 90.
1990 – As Somerton marks its 175th year the small community is home two stores – Carpenter’ Grocery and D & M General Store; J. Howell Machine, Inc. with 16 employees; two trucking companies – W.J. Plumly (7 employees) and Robert Shriver; G & C Auto Body and Fiberglass Creations Unlimited (Greg Spano, owner) with six employees; Thornberry Excavating (Ron Thornberry, owner) with four employees; two churches – Church of Christ and United Methodist; and Somerton VFD and E-Squad with 20 trained volunteers and 13 E-Squad members.
The population of Somerset Township is 1,029.
1991 – The former Grange Hall is purchased at Sheriff’s Sale and stabilized over the next several years.
1992 – Carpenter’s Store closes following the Ralph Carpenter’s death. Ron and Darlene Thornberry will reopen the store as Village Market adding a popular lunch counter.
Cathy Plumly opens her hair salon on Stumptown Road. Fred Stephen is her first customer.
1993 – The first families of the Amish faith move to farms in the Somerton area. One room schools are established for the children.
1995 – Somerton Masons and Eastern Star members merge with Friendship Lodge in Barnesville. The lodge hall is sold and converted into a residence.
J.Howell Machine, Inc. folds. The business was founded by Jim Howell in 1945.
1997 – Fred Stephen, retired teacher, principal and coach dies at the age of 90. His teaching career spanned 42 years, 23 as coach.
1998 – Stumptown Pallet Mill opens in the former Howell Machine Shop.
2000 – D & M General Store, formerly Bewley’s, closes ending continuous business activity on lot dating to 1832.
Somerton Community Park is established by the Somerset Trustees east of Somerton on land donated by Ronald and Darlene Thornberry. The park is an immediate hit.
The population of Somerset Township is 1,186.
2003 – Somerton and Jerusalem Methodist congregations are “yoked”, or combined with one minister serving both churches.
2004 – On October 12 the old Somerton bank building is torn down. It stood for 129 years,
2005 – Other historic structures razed during this era are: F.C. Wharton residence opposite Stumptown Road (fire), Steele Funeral Home (lot 11), Claudy Store/Detling residence (lot 10), Jim Howell residence (corner Stumptown Road), John Bates/ Sam Ackerman residence, Madison Johnson/Everett Clift residence, Wharton/Wheeler Garage (opposite school lot), Dr. Schooley residence (lot 35), Applegate/Willison residence (lot 46), Dr. Johnson office (lot 38), Pearl Ward residence ( lot, 43,moved then demolished), Edward Barnes/Launce Yarnall residence (lot 25) and Burcher/Maxine Brown residence (lot 1).
2007 – The former GAR/Grange Hall, erected in 1889, is razed.
The Nicol/Warrick house located north of the Church of Christ is razed. This house is one of three containing one room log houses demolished during the decade. The other two were located on lots 15 and 18, the longtime residences of Ralph and Ruth Carpenter and Gertrude Pickens. One remaining log structure survives on lot 38 opposite the former Carpenter’s Store.
2010 – The population of Somerset Township is 1,245, an increase of 335 (36 percent higher) over the low of 910 in 1970.
2011 – After 145 years, the United Methodist Church sells its parsonage.
2012 – A powerful derecho storm on June 30 damages the 1873 Somerton Methodist Church beyond repair. The church is demolished in October.
2013 – A rebuilding fund is launched by the Methodist congregation.
The last Somerton Firemen’s Festival Parade honors community leaders, Charles Bewley, Mary Lou Bewley and Richard Steele as parade marshals.
2014 – The last Somerton Firemen’s Festival is staged ending a 55-year run
2015 – On June 28, the first service in the new Methodist Church building takes place as work continues on the new sanctuary, classrooms and landscaping.
Great Lakes Wellhead, Inc., an oil and gas servicing company, opens shop in the village.
Somerton turns 200 on September 9.
Somerton: A Proud Community Marks 200 Years