Kenneth Harris Plummer, Sr. passed into the loving arms of God on Wednesday, November 28, 2012.
Born October 11, 1923 in Waverly, VA, Ken was the son of Edward DeWees Plummer and Jessie Harris Plummer. He is survived by his wife, June Orndorf Plummer and his children, Carol Ann Ness (Tom), Kenneth Harris Plummer, Jr. (Cheryl), Lynn Orndorf Heinrich (Bryan), James David Orndorf, (Ellen), Dr. Timothy John Orndorf (Lois), Douglas Ray Plummer (Robin), Dr. Thomas Patrick Orndorf (Carol), and Clifford Earl Plummer (Nancy). He is also survived by sixteen grandchildren and three great-grand children, numerous nieces and nephews, and his only surviving brother, Alvin Jesse (Jim) Plummer of Hagerstown, MD. Kens first wife, Dorothy Scruggs Plummer, passed away in 1968.
Ken had a lifelong passion for photography and he attended photography school in New York City and Hagerstown Business School after graduating Hagerstown High School in 1941. Following his service to his nation in the United States Navy in WW II, Ken owned and operated The Photo Center in Chambersburg from 1946 to 1950. He became a partner in E. D. Plummer Sons, Inc. in 1950, retiring as president in 1982.
Ken was a man who firmly believed in service to his nation, his church, and his community. He was a member of Kiwanis and served on the Board of Directors of the Cumberland Valley Chapter Associated Builders and Contractors and the National Board of Directors of ABC.
Ken was a member of St. Paul United Methodist Church where he served on the Board of Trustees and taught the Open Door Class for over fifty years. He was a member of the Board of Laity of the Central Pennsylvania Conference, the Board of Health and Welfare Ministries, and was Conference Lay Leader for many years. Ken was elected to the Board of Global Ministries of the National United Methodist Church in 1976 and served on the Board of Health and Welfare Division and the World Division. He was a member of the World Methodist Council and represented the American Methodist Church at the British Methodist Council in 1989. He also was a member of the Development Committee for Africa University and was elected President of the National Association of Annual Conference Lay Leaders in 1986.
For twenty years, Ken served as a trustee of Lebanon Valley College in Annville, Pa. He also was on the Board of Governors of Wesley Theological Seminary for twelve years.
Ken was also a founding director of the Center for Spiritual Formation and chaired the building committee that completed the Center at Orchard Hill.
Ken was a direct descendant of Robert Plummer whose Quaker homestead became the Friends Boarding School in Barnesville, Ohio. He has been involved in the restoration of the original Plummer House.
With all of his service and dedication to his family and his church, Kens most valuable achievement in his eyes was the construction of the chapel at Camp David. He was working there when President Kennedy was assassinated and neither he nor the servicemen stationed there had anywhere to go and pray. Thus a lifelong ambition was born, and through the formation of the Camp David Chapel Fund, Inc., which Ken chaired, the money was raised from many denominations and many faiths. The chapel was dedicated in 1991 and rededicated in 2001 as an ecumenical place of prayer and worship.
The viewing was held at St. Paul United Methodist Church, 750 Norland Ave.; Chambersburg, PA, on Friday, November 30. Funeral services were Saturday, December 1 at St. Pauls with a luncheon that followed. Interment was at the church following the service on Sunday, December 2.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to St. Paul United Methodist Church, 750 Norland Ave.; Chambersburg, PA 17201, or The Center for Spiritual Formation; 64 East North St.; Carlisle, PA 17013. Kelso-Cornelius Funeral Home is handling the arrangements.