ST. CLAIRSVILLE — The 20th Ohio Historical Marker in Belmont County was dedicated on July 4 at the Belmont County Courthouse. The marker commemorates the official start of the National Road in the state of Ohio. It was on Independence Day 1825, 193 years ago, that construction of the federally-funded highway was launched in the state from in front of the courthouse.
An 11 am program included patriotic music and Presentation of the Colors by the St. Clairsville American Legion Color Guard.
Speakers for the event were Doug Smith and Glenn Harper, co-authors of A Traveler’s Guide to the Historic National Road in Ohio.
Several historic locations in the county were open to the public on Independence Day including the Blaine Bridge, Belmont County Sheriff’s Residence Museum, Great Western Schoolhouse, and a walking tour of Morristown.