Ten Years Ago – 2008
Area citizens braved the heavy snowfall that befell the area to take in the Business Showcase last weekend.
Barnesville Bicentennial activities launched on March 15, St. Patrick’s Day in honor of the town’s Shamrock sports moniker.
Louise Kemp Howell, 92, of Tacoma, died on March 5.
Girl Scout Week profiles the community’s seven troops which are: Jr. Troop 5567, Daisey Troop 5795, Jr. Troop 4634, Brownie Troop 4647, Brownie Troop 5780, Cadette Troop 5563 and Sr. Troop 3152.
Twenty-Five Year Ago – 1993
5 B’s fills new positions from within the corporation. Local resident J. Russell (Russ) Howell is named plant manager of the firm’s Cut and Sew operation in Zanesville.
Dr. Drake Richey marks his 20th year as Chief of Staff at Barnesville Hospital.
All current members of village council submit petitions for re-election – Ernest Howell, Jr., Charles Bunting, Art Seneff and Virginia Waggle.
The Barnesville Garden Club purchases/sponsors 12 trees for the downtown streetscape project.
The Barnesville Elks donates $1,000 to Barnesville PD at the annual Law Enforcement Appreciation Banquet.
Helen Roe Watson and Roe’s Store marks 48 years on W. Main Street.
Shamrock Video, located at 134 W. Main, since 1986 is profiled. Bob and Cathy Froehlich are owners of the firm. The business started with 340 videos and now offers over 3,400. The store employs four in addition to the owners.
Fifty Years Ago – 1968
Weather permitting, Ohio Power crews are to start today converting service in the south and southwest portion of town from a 4,000- to 12,000-volt system.
Wayne Sampson is elected president of the Barnesville Chamber of Commerce. Garnett Sparks is vice presentment; Gene Burkhart, secretary, and Larry Willis, treasurer. New directors are Al Hunter and Mrs. Jo Mott. Holdover directors are Gene McCracken, Joe Stanfield and Lucien Foglesong. Regular meetings are held on the 3rd Wednesday each month at 12 noon at the Brazier Burger on E. Main.
The installation of an aquarium department is the latest addition to the facilities of the Western Auto Store in Barnesville. Store co-owner Frank Miller is photographed with one of nine tanks that contain a variety of small fish.
Quaker City – The Guernsey Co. Farm Bureau reaches its 1968 membership quota of 584 members.
Seventy-Five Years Ago – 1943
Barnesville will stage its first Blackout tonight. The air raid siren will blow at 9:25 pm.
Barnesville will issue 97 diplomas at Commencement on June 3.
War Ration Book 2 is issued to 4,913 residents.
The stockholders of Hotel Shannon, with over 75% of shares represented, decided to turn the hotel over to Fred R. Graves to operate, or lease, as he sees fit. In effect, Mr. Graves becomes sole owner of the hotel.
Barnesville beats Dover in tournament play.
One Hundred Years Ago – 1918
From the Whetstone
The Whetstone prints a letter from Walter Meyer, "a Barnesville boy now in training in Uncle Sam’s air service in France".
The fine weather last Sunday brought out many promenaders and others who, belonging to the wealthy class, went about in automobiles and other wheeled conveyances.
Thomas Corwin Shankland Civil War veteran, died at his home Tuesday night. He was born in Barnesville in 1842. His mother was the only daughter of James and Nancy Barnes, the founder of our city.
Reports are there is a shortage of state and county funds to complete the Barnesville-Hendysburg and Morristown Road paving project.
Horner’s Department Store will open in their new quarters ag 127 E. Main opposite the National Bank of Barnesville. The new store offers a wall paper department on the second floor, all other departments on the first floor and reserve stock in the basement.
Bruce Yarnall may be reached at: email@example.com