VFW Post 2792 Barnesville is currently offering an initial free first-year membership for all new members.
Eligibility for membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars is: (1) citizen of the U.S. or a U.S. national; (2) honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States with an honorable or general discharge; (3) service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters that may be proven by an authorized campaign medal, receipt for hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay or service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days.
Additional information on the membership offer may be obtained by stopping in at the Post on S. Chestnut Street any day of the week. The Post opens at 8 am Monday-Saturday and 12 Noon on Sunday. Past trustee Charlie Morrison will also assist. He may be reached at (740) 296-8977, or send an email to the Post at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Officers at the Barnesville Post include Commander Clarence Atkinson, Senior Vice Commander Mike Hershberg, Junior Vice Commander Patrick Kovacs and Quartermaster Benny Ankrom.
VFW promotional membership materials notes, "Our strength comes from you. Simply put, the VFW strives to do good things for deserving people; particularly veterans, their families, and their communities. From local grassroots ideas to national influence, we work every day to make a difference. It's our strength as an organization. With each individual membership, we only grow
Many in the community recognize the good work of the VFW through the Post’s Honor Guard at Memorial Day, Veterans’ Day services and community parades or at funerals of fallen veterans. In addition to that, the Barnesville Post has a remarkable record of supporting local and national causes. In the past year, they have donated the following:
• $4,200 - $350 monthly - to the Barnesville Community Meals (Meals on Wheels)
• $1,000 to the Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team that will wrestle in matches around the county this year representing Ohio against other state-sponsored teams
• $500 for "Racing for the Rox", a program benefiting Barnesville Schools
• $100 to the Multiple Sclerosis Association of Ohio
• $100 for Guiding Eyes for the Blind
• $200 for the VFW Service Officers Fund of Ohio
• $5,000 at the Ohio VFW Mid-Winter Conference in January to benefit the "Comedy Combs Cancer Fund". The Barnesville Post’s donation was the second largest in the state. The largest came from an entire District, not an individual post