Ten Years Ago – 2004
The Belmont County Business Showcase held last weekend at the Barnesville Elementary School gymnasium is deemed a “huge success.”
Mayor Roger Deal reports that he is pleased there have been more than 1,500 visitors view the village’s new website. Local resident Beth Seneff developed the site.
Barnesville Hospital is named to the prestigious list of “100 Performance Improvement Leaders,” an honor shared by only two percent of America’s hospitals.
The Barnesville Church of the Nazarene will offer a free soup and sandwich lunch Saturday.
Deaths this week include Guy P. Rinehart, 71, of Route 800 south, coal company retiree, and contract welder; Ethel Johnson, 93, Quaker City, dry good store and antique store operator for more than 50 years; and Olive P. Kinney, 71, who worked at the former Lotus Glass and Burns Apparel companies.
Local post office employee Rick Lallathin receives his 30-year service award. He delivers mail in the east end of town.
Twenty-five Year Ago – 1989
The Barnesville Ministerial Association has hired Zanesville native Brian Law as full-time Summer Youth employee. Law is a religion major student at Asbury College, Wilmore, Kentucky.
Larry Tuner, and his wife, Maggie, of Santa Barbara, California visit the Enterprise office. He is the great-grandson of E.P. Lee, who was associated with Enterprise founder George McClelland. The Lee family also owned the newspaper from 1888-1922.
The local school board, with help from the county school superintendent, will conduct its own search for a new superintendent when Kearney Lykins, Jr. retires at the end of July.
Newly installed officers for the Ladies of the Elks include Isabel Wheaton, Rose Lazenby, Agnes Gallagher, Evelyn Beckett, Mary Peters, Marjorie Hunter, Carole Gallagher, Mary Williams and Helen McDonald..
Walter and Luella Neiswonger of Bethesda mark their silver wedding anniversary on March 28. He is employed at the Farm Bureau, Quaker City.
Delvin Wiggins is installed as the new postmaster at Beallsville. He replaces Harry Decker who retired in December.
Fifty Years Ago – 1964
Douglas Johnson, 39, of 326 W. Main St., a World War II vet, was killed in a Route 40 collision near St. Clairsville early Sunday morning. Survivors include his mother and three sisters, Misses Wanda, Dorothy and Margaret Johnson, all of the home,
Emerson Cox, salesman for Doan Ford, was presented Ford’s sales award at a banquet held in Pittsburgh Saturday.
Although Barnesville tap water is currently cloudy in appearance and a carries a somewhat offensive taste, it is perfectly safe to drink, acting water superintendent Paul Huntsman reports.
Mrs. Joe Walker was elected president of the Junior Women’s Club Wednesday. Mrs. Gerald Jones was chosen as vice president.
The Somerton M.Y.F. plans an Easter Sunrise Service at the church Easter Sunday. After the service, a breakfast will be served to the youngsters at the parsonage.
A complete liquidation dispersal sale will take place Saturday at the Farmers Co-op Supply Co. in Flushing.
Seventy-five Years Ago – 1939
Miss Helen Carle is named valedictorian of the BHS Class of 1939. Kenneth Mercer is named salutatorian while Wanda Johnson places third.
The first case of purse snatching reported in the village for some time took place on Laws Street Saturday evening.
A picture of the new Safety Patrol squad recently inaugurated in the local schools includes the following members: Richard Thompson, Billy Palmer, Charles Wilson, Robert Davis, Farnell Fisher, Eddie Reeves, Darrell Gasper, John Donald Fowler, John Oliver, Donald Winland, Marshall Sayre, Tommy Boswell, Jimmy Mayo, Bob Modie, Francis Froehlich, Clifford Dornbush, Jimmy Foreman, Jack Null, Billy Stubbs, and Leo Castello. Faculty advisor is Dias Hunt.
The work of beavers located on the Earl Lewis farm at Lamira is on display in the Stonebraker barbershop. A willow tree about four inches in diameter shows large teeth marks of the animal.
Work was started this week on an extension of the Johnson Paint Store at 125 E. Main. The extension on the rear of the building will have three floors including a balcony. Extensive re-arranging and redecorating will take place in the present store.
The death of William N. Hilles of Minneapolis is reported. Once associated with the Judkins Shoe Store here, he was later co-owner of a Columbus-based coal company and until his retirement two years ago, the Western Electric Company in New York City. Survivors include a sister, Mrs. Dr. Kyle Miller of this place and a brother, Charles Dewey Hilles of New York City.
One Hundred Years Ago – 1914
From the Whetstone
Public Notices announces the intention of the city to pave with brick the following – Clifton Street, Hunts Avenue, and Franklin Street.
A railroad car of fertilizer will be on the Canning Factory switch about April 1. Contact the firm of Jackley & Lowe, harness shop and feed livery for particulars.
All members of the Juvenile Grange should be present at the meeting on March 28 to hear “My trip to Washington”, a presentation by Belmont Grange members.
Mrs. Adolph Gamenthaler or Oglesby, Illinois, who was called to this place by the sickness and death of her mother, Mrs. M.J. Mays, returned to her home Sunday night.
Mr. Leland Thornberry of Walton Avenue is out and about after having an operation for the removal of his right eye. Several weeks ago, the young man met with the misfortune of getting a piece of steel in his eye while working at the Watt Car Wheel Co.
Twice Told Tales is compiled by Bruce Yarnall, former general manager of the Barnesville Enterprise. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org