Ten Years Ago 2002
Dedication of an Ohio Bicentennial historical marker highlighting the life of Mail Pouch Barn painter Harley Warrick took place at the Belmont School this past Sunday.
The water project to connect Quaker City to Barnesville has received a $246,000 grant and a $257,000 zero percent loan. Pending is a $550,000 request for Community Block grants to complete the $900,000 project.
There were many tears as about two dozen Barnesville School District employees gathered on the steps of the 1925 Junior High building the morning demolition was scheduled to begin. The demolition process took about one week to complete.
Died Eleanor M. Froehlich, 84. She and her sister, Dorothy Schumacher cooked for the Rotary Club for many years. Eleanor was also a former Democratic precinct committee person, member of the Catholic Womens Club and Assumption Church. Also passing was Janet L. Cook, 64, a member of the First United Methodist Church and the ABC Bowling League.
The Golden Wedding Anniversaries of Bill and Delores Frazier and Carl and Dorothy Smith are profiled this week.
Twenty-five Year Ago 1987
The school board will interview candidates on July 14 to replace Jack Iams who recently stepped down. Superintendent Kearney Lykins indicated three individuals have expressed an interest thus far Bob Miller, Lynn Blaney and Ann Tracy.
Charles Chuck Phifer, local banker, is also a gifted artist who produces lath art. He is also well-known for his wallpapering, carpentry and cabinetry skills.
Barnesville Hospitals E-Room is now being staffed by National Emergency Services, the nations largest privately-held emergency physician service which serves 200 hospitals.
Naomi Loper, 85, of S. Gardner, wife of former taxi owner Fred Loper, has died.
Kathy Crum Allar, Somerton area native, is in the running for Oklahoma teacher of the year. Before relocating west, she was a teacher in the Switzerland of Ohio Schools.
The Bethel United Methodist Church resumed the custom of an ice cream social on the church lawn for the first time in 40 years. Funds from the social will be used to pay for major renovations underway at the church.
Dick and Margaret Eberle of Quaker City are named the second Grand Marshals for the Ohio Hills Folk Festival Parade.
Fifty Years Ago 1962
Asa R. Jim Hughes is named to village council to succeed James E. Bradfield who recently resigned. Hughes is assistant cashier at First National Bank and a resident of 518 W. Main.
Richard Cheffy, the younger son of Mr. and Mrs. Windsor Cheffy, was ordained into the ministry of the Presbyterian Church on June17. He will do religious education at a Washington, DC church.
Nearly 5,000 persons took the Type III Sabin oral polio vaccine here last Sunday as the second of three doses in the regimen.
A beautiful new organ and attractive twin lectern and pulpit add additional grace to the First Presbyterian Church. The organ was a gift of Mr. and Mrs. J. Donald Fowler of Youngstown. The pulpit and lectern were purchased through gifts in memory of Mrs. Forrest Hayes.
Died Mrs. Catherine (Kate) Brown, 95, of Temperanceville.
An August wedding is planned by Miss Shirley Ann Louden of Beallsville and Mr. Ronnie Lewis Harper of Quaker City.
Seventy-five Years Ago 1937
The M-K Company has leased the storeroom at the corner of Chestnut and Walnut streets and plans to open its sixth Barnesville store. The store was occupied for many years by the J.B. Mercer grocery and later by the Phy-len Restaurant.
Mrs. Tom Butterfield, wife of the former pastor of the E. Main church of Christ, lost her life along with two others when the car she was riding in plunged into the Muskingum River near McConnellsville Monday. The accident happened when the driver suffered a heart attack and his foot hit the accelerator.
Mayor McLaughlin has ordered a halt to the sale of firecrackers until after the 4th.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kirk are at White Sulphur Springs, W. Va. spending a vacation at the Greenbrier as the winner of a Philco Radio sales contest.
Camp Meeting at Barnes Oak Grove, four miles south of town on Route 8, July 11, 18, 25, and August 1 under the suspicious of the A.M.E. Church. Good singing, speaking and preaching. Refreshments served on the grounds. Free parking available.
One Hundred Years Ago 1912
From the Whetstone
Old Frank, the faithful old hose who has hauled Fred Mantzs bread wagon through our streets for 25 years and who has never missed a day was put upon the pension list this week by his humane owner and today he is enjoying the luxuries of green field and foliage. The owner and the horse had worked together in harmony for so long, that to use Mr. Mantzs language, I could not bear the idea of selling him, perhaps to be abused in his old days. I will see that he is cared for.
No firecrackers this year, boys, unless you can get around a bid ordinance gin en round at Mayor Chaneys hangout.
On Thursday at a reception at the home of Dr. and Mrs. J.A. Judkins, the engagement of their daughter, Miss Edna, to Attorney E.D. Meek of Bellaire was announced. The wedding will take place in October.
William A. Bowen, well-known shoemaker of this place, was found dead at his place of business Thursday morning. The Batesville native was 63.
Twice Told Tales is compiled by Bruce Yarnall, former general manager of the Barnesville Enterprise. He can be reached at email@example.com