TOMORROW, JANUARY 15, is the 150th birthday of the First Presbyterian Church of Barnesville. The first church building, pictured here, was dedicated and the organization finalized on that date in 1859. This frame building was located on the site of James Barnes' packing house at the northwest corner of Chestnut and Church Streets.
THIS FRAME building was sold to the church of the Assumption in 1901 and moved to the corner of West Main and South Gardner Streets, facing Gardner Street. It later was destroyed by fire on Christmas 1914.
THE FRAME church was sold and removed to make room for the present building, designed by Frank Packard and built of recycled brick (from the burned out Barnesville Hosiery company building) and covered with red sandstone from Mansfield. The beautiful stained glass window are memorials to Watt and Bradfield families.
ALTHOUGH NOT quite completed, in 1903 the congregation began meeting in a finished portion of the building until the completion in 1905.
NO SPECIAL celebration is planned during this birthday week although no doubt it will be remembered during the morning worship and at the annual congregational luncheon meeting afterward. Some tentative plans for observing this sesqui-centennial include a big homecoming in the summer, cleanup of Old Ireland Cemetery where the earliest Presbyterians are buried, and a commemorative pictorial directory.