- 1 of 2 Photos | View More Photos
The Barnesville Depot Committee cordially invites the public to take part in a special Centennial Commemoration Program for the Barnesville Depot Saturday afternoon, July 8 as part of Barnesville's Alumni Weekend activities. The formal program will get underway at 1 p.m. at the John Schradel Pavilion located on the depot grounds.
The current train station was completed in 1917 greatly improving local rail service some 65 years after the "iron horse" first arrived in Barnesville.
The Spanish Mission style passenger station served the public for 44 years until passenger service ended in 1961, and continued to serve as freight depot and work crew station until the rails were removed in 1986.
Today, the depot remains a community icon thanks to a decade- long "grass roots" effort to purchase and restore the National Register of Historic Places listed landmark.
In addition to the program, the nearby Watt Center for History and Arts located in the former Watt Car and Wheel offices will be open for free tours from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.