Heading Logo


Twice Told Tales

By BRUCE YARNALL Former General Manager Published: June 21, 2017 12:00 AM
  • 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos

Ten Years Ago 2007

An official logo is chosen for next year's Barnesville Bicentennial Celebration.

Rockies Express Pipeline is expected to propose an alternate route for the gas line that will not cross through the Slope Creek Reservoir.

Bethesda's Police Department is utilizing a new program to pursue sexual predators. The initiative recently led to charges filed against a 37-year-old Dayton man for "inappropriate Internet communications" with a person he thought was a 15-year-old girl.

Rick and Reva Milhoan, new owners of the Barnesville Flower Gardens, propose to carry on the tradition of quality and customer service of the Sells family.

[Article continues below]

The Belmont community holds a fundraiser for Bruce McIntire, former council member, who is battling cancer.

Wedding anniversaries featured include Ron and Lisa Shilling who mark their 25th on June 12 and Mr. and Mrs. Harold Thompson who celebrate their 40th on June 18.

Mr. and Mrs. Jack Sproul of Westerville mark their golden wedding anniversary on June 9. They were married at the Main Street Methodist Church by Rev. Workman on June 9, 1957.

Twenty-five

[Article continues below]

Years Ago 1992

The Barnesville Hutton Memorial Library Capital Campaign concludes capping a $257,000 fundraising drive.

Ground is broken for the new First Baptist Church of Barnesville on Shady Lane.

The Most Rev. Gilbert I. Sheldon was the main celebrant at the Sacrament of Confirmation at St. Mary's Catholic Church, Temperanceville. The newly confirmed are: David Carpenter, Chad Flood, Stacy Gallagher, Dayle Hill, Angie Miller, Michelle Lynn Miller and Becky Stephen.

A fall 1993 opening is planned for the Crooked Creek Golf Course near Morristown. Businessman Bill Loase is developing the course.

This week's Business Profile features the Walter Thomas store. Employees Vivian Stewart, Martha Ralston, Tom Brill and Errol Brill are pictured.

Fifty Years Ago 1967

Morristown State Bank officials inspect the new Hanna Coal Co. operations in Egypt Valley.

The Kiwanis Club's Ox Roast will be one of the main features at Memorial Park 4th of July activities.

The general public is invited to a demonstration of camping equipment Saturday at the Hunkler Camp Ground east of town. The show is sponsored by the Swiss Ohio Campers Club.

Barnesville Airport "again provides valuable service" as an Indiana woman, injured in a Route 40 accident near Fairview on May 18th and a patient at Barnesville Hospital since, is flown by an ambulance plane to a hospital nearer her home.

Seventy-five

Years Ago 1942

The Barnesville Locker & Storage System, 338 S. Chestnut Street, will open to the public on Saturday, June 20. Everyone is invited to visit the new refrigerated locker plant and inspect the modern facilities now "available to the community to enjoy better living at lower cost with fresh frozen foods." Joseph Matthews is manager of the business.

The Scrap Rubber Drive is off to a good start with between 7-8 tons collected in three days.

The Barnesville Legion erects a flagpole at the highest point in the village of Fairview. Dedication services took place Sunday.

About 60 pupils are attending summer school here undertaking work necessary for their advancement to the next grade in September.

Former school superintendent Russell E. Schafer is named head of the Alliance City Schools.

One Hundred

Years Ago 1917

From the Whetstone

The contract for the paving of the National Road through the village of Morristown will be let by the state highway commission June 27. This is the only part of the road in the county which has not been paved.

Bonds to pave the Barnesville-Hendrysburg Road are refused by the State Industrial Commission at 5 percent. The county commission will re-advertise.

John T. Hunt, prominent citizen aged nearly 80, died suddenly at his home on June 15. He was a splendid carpenter and builder in earlier days. He was superintendent for the construction of the Union School in 1879 and in 1901 served in the same capacity when the Presbyterian Church was erected.

Confirmation services conducted by Bishop Reese of Columbus will take place at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, corner of W. South and S. Broadway Sunday.

The work of the Barnesville branch of the Red Cross now contains nearly 500 names enrolled.

Bruce Yarnall may be reached at: bruce.yarnall@outlook.com


Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.